What was once just a concept under the name APEX, is now a reality as VIVO just announced the Vivo Nex S featuring a 6.59″ screen with 91% screen-to-body ratio. It carries the most powerful processor to date, the Snapdragon 845 and some of the more powerful componets available for mobile phones thus far.
The resolution is 2316×1080 which is 19.3:9 aspect ratio to be exact. The ram is up to 8GB and the base variant comes with 128GB. A 256GB version is also available.
Camera wise, The Nex Sfeatures a dual 12MP+MP set up with an aperture of f/1.8 and f/2.4, respectively. For selfies, there’s a pop up camera with 8MP and an aperture of f/2.0.
OS wise, the device runs on a skinned Android 8.1 Oreo – Vivo’s FUN OS 4.0. There’s an indisplay finger print sensor but the lack of ultrasonic sensors means that this may be as slow as the one used in the Vivo X21. Battery is 4000Mah.
Alongside the NEX S, a very similar phone was announced with a more subtle Snadragon 710 which is still powerful in it’s own self but targeted at a more mainstream price – the NEX A.
The NEX A shares the same Super Amoled screen and size but tops up at 6GB ram and 12GB memory. Another change is that the NEX A makes do with a capactive fingerprint on the back of the device instead of the underneat the display.
For both phones to achieve the 91% screen, the earpiece has been removed from its usual spot and has been replaced with a vibrating screen (similar to the Xiaomi Mix), with Vivo claiming that the Screen SoundCasting Technology should deliver better-sounding bass and softer treble (versus competitors).
- Body: Metal and glass, reflective triangular pattern on the back
- Display: 6.49″ AMOLED, 1080p+ resolution, 19.3:9 aspect ratio
- Rear camera: Dual 12 MP + 5 MP camera (f/1.8 + f/2.4), OIS and Dual Pixel AF
- Front camera: 8 MP camera (f/2.0) on a motorized popup platform
- Software: Funtouch OS 4.0 based on Android 8.1 Oreo
- Chipset: 10 nm Snapdragon 845, quad 2.8 GHz Kryo 385 Gold + quad 1.7 GHz Kryo 385 Silver, Adreno 630
- Memory: 8 GB of RAM, 256 GB storage; expandable microSD card
- Battery: 4,000 mAh battery, 22.5 W charger in the box
- Connectivity: USB-C (USB 2.0), 3.5 mm headphone jack
- Others: Under display fingerprint reader, piezoelectric earpiece, Jovi digital assistant with dedicated button
The phone will soon be available for pre-order where the NEX S 8GB/12GB version will retail for about 699$ (P36,995) and the 256GB version for about 779$ (P40,990). The Nex A is priced at 100$ cheaper at 599$ (P30,990), making both phones quite pricey due to it’s bold design and plethora of features.