Asus CloneDesktop vs Asus TUF FX705 : Overview
The notebook market has been around since 2002, and we have seen a lot of technological progress from 17 years ago. The gaming notebooks are now able to house the same discrete graphic cards of the desktop PC. Gone were the old days that GPU were made different from Desktop GPU compare to Notebook GPU’s.
The Asus TUF Gaming notebook will be used to compare an Asus clone assembled computer, because Asus have both the component business and notebook business in which we can compare closer similar in branding. We will be checking the components one by one, and assess the nearest cost to an Asus clone assembled desktop computer, comparing to the Asus TUF Gaming notebook. The big question behind this comparison is, is it worth to buy an Asus TUF gaming notebook rather than assemble your own gaming desktop computer?
Asus CloneDesktop vs Asus TUF FX705 : Aesthetics, Design, and Cooling System
We chose the Nexus M as the most affordable best looking aesthetics and design in this comparison. In this case, both the desktop PC and TUF Gaming notebook has good outlook no matter which angle you look at. The big advantage of the Nexus M compare the Asus Gaming Notebook is that it has dust covers all around the PC case. This means that there will likely be fewer dust going inside your computer. Comparing to the FX705 series, it has the anti-dust cooling system where the fans helps to remove dust and other particles via the anti-dust tunnel. Both system have dust management system that is able to prolong the life span of the components inside.
Asus CloneDesktop vs Asus TUF FX705 : Doing the Math
We have simulated a table in direct comparison with the clone gaming desktop PC and the Asus TUF gaming notebook. There are definitely some material cost that we are not able to compare, such as the Desktop CPU vs the Mobile CPU. We are not able to get the actual cost of the manufacturer for these cost, but we did list down all the prices that we can fine in a clone gaming desktop set-up similar to the model we are comparing with.
In this table below, let us compare the Asus FX705GM-EV113T to a clone gaming desktop. This means that we need to look for parts similar to this notebook specification. Let’s begin!
|Clone||Desktop||Desktop Cost to Build||FX705GM||Notebook Cost to Buy|
|CPU||Core i7-8700||₱ 18,000||Core i7-8750H||₱ –|
|RAM||8G||₱ 3,100||8G||₱ –|
|Motherboard||Asus H310M-D||₱ 4,200||Asus MB||₱ –|
|SSD||256G (WD M.2 NVME Black)||₱ 5,200||256G M.2 NVME||₱ –|
|HDD||1TB (WD Blue 1TB 7200rpm)||₱ 2,350||1TB (5200rpm)||₱ –|
|Graphics||GTX1060 (Asus GTX1060 Strix O6G Gaming RGB 6gb)||₱ 16,900||GTX1060 6GB||₱ –|
|Power Supply||Thermal Take V2S 450W||₱ 2,750||180W||₱ –|
|Chassis||Nexus M (Black)||₱ 1,450||FX705||₱ –|
|Monitor||ASUS VS229NA (21.5″/75Hz/5ms)||₱ 7,300||17.3″/144Hz/7ms||₱ –|
|Keyboard||Asus Cerberus (RGB)||₱ 1,850||RGB Keyboard||₱ –|
|Mouse||Logitech G300S||₱ 995||Touch Pad||₱ –|
|Windows||Win 10 Home OEM x64||₱ 6,450||Windows 10 x64||₱ –|
|Wireless||Dlink DWA182USB||₱ 1,480||2×2 AC Mimo||₱ –|
|UPS||BX650LIMS||₱ 2,500||Battery 64Wh||₱ –|
|Portability||N/A||₱ –||2.6Kg with Battery||₱ –|
|Warranty||3 Year Local Warranty||₱ –||2 Year Global Warranty||₱ –|
Price Source = PC Express Pricelist on February 9, 2019 (Check the Link HERE)
Asus Clone Desktop = 74,525 PHP
TUF Gaming FX705GM-EV113T = 91,995 PHP
- CPU = the Desktop CPU is definitely a winning specification here because the Desktop CPU definitely has more raw processing power. In terms of CPU benchmark performance from cpubenchmark.net, the difference in terms of performance is 21.4%. You can check the exact score HERE.
- Power Supply = we took the notebook power supply as a better option because the standard of a notebook power supply is rated at 96% efficiency. This means that the power supply used is similar to 80 plus gold power supply.
- Monitor = for the comparison of the monitor, we took the side of the notebook specification because the panel response time is much better compare to the larger monitor size of the clone desktop computer. In terms of gaming, the 144Hz gives gamers a better edge, compare to a regular 75Hz refresh rate of a 21.5” monitor. The reason we used the 21.5” inch monitor is because the resolution is similar. Majority of the monitors offered below 21.5” doesn’t reach FHD + IPS. You can check the exact specification of the monitor HERE.
- Mouse = due to the native touch pad of a gaming notebook, a mouse option is definitely a sure win in terms of gaming. Although you can buy a separate mouse, this will add up to the cost of your notebook. So, the most valuable branded gaming mice we can see in the list of PC Express pricelist is the Logitech G300S. You can check the specification of the value gaming mice HERE.
- UPS = we added the UPS inside the computation of the whole computer, because the TUF gaming notebook includes a battery. Due to the battery capacity of 650Va for the UPS, this doesn’t add up to a full 1 hour game time for your computer in case there is no electricity. The UPS is added just to ensure your gaming experience is not disrupted during times of immediate power loss, plus the overall cost will significantly be higher if we add the higher capacity. You can check the UPS specification HERE.
- Portability = this is a no brainers answer. The TUF gaming notebook wins in this category at 2.6 Kg over the non-portable desktop computer.
Asus CloneDesktop vs Asus TUF FX705: Final Verdict
For pro gamers who have the extra 17,470 Pesos to spare at the GTX1060 range, we believe that portable gaming is an essential. Having the trouble to put your desktop computer in a luggage, and transport it to your destination is a big problem. Another key factor why portable gaming is essential means that you can work and do gaming anywhere inside your house. But if you happen to have a limited budget, you can always go for the desktop solution. Although you sacrifice on portability and free will to choose where ever you want to do gaming, you get to enjoy that bigger screen on your desk.
TUF FX705 Series Philippine Market Models:
Asus TUF Gaming FX705GM-EV113T
Panel: 17.3-in FHD IPS 144Hz 7ms
Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H
Discrete Graphics: GTX1060 6GB
Asus TUF Gaming FX705GE-EV107T
Panel: 17.3in FHD IPS 144Hz 7ms
Processor: Intel Core i7-8750H
Discrete Graphics: GTX1050Ti 4GB